PENAMPANG: Residents hope for more police presence at the Plaza 333 commercial complex in Jalan Pintas Penampang following a recent incident in which patrons of a restaurant were attacked.
On April 14, a group of six to eight illegal immigrants armed with knives and machetes stormed into the restaurant. During the incident, one of the patrons was stabbed in the abdomen.
The incident has raised concerns among visitors of the centre and nearby residents about their safety.
Moyog assemblyman Terence Siambun said a police booth should be set up at the commercial centre to prevent such incidents from recurring.
He also urged the police to check the illegal squatters near the area.
“These squatter villages may be a perfect hiding spot for illegal immigrants.
“Scuffles had also broken out between patrons at eateries since the plaza was opened last year.
“I will work with the management of the commercial centre to submit an application to set up a police booth,” Siambun said.
Penampang police chief Deputy Superintendent Rosley Hobden said police had identified the suspects in the incident and would make arrests soon.
He concurred with the idea to set up a police beat base at Plaza 333.
For the time being, Rosley said, police would intensify patrols.