“HE wants a fight, I will give him a fight.”
That was Lee Chong Wei’s warning to BA of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost after being forced to withdraw from the All England Championships following an injury he picked up in training.
Chong Wei tore his medial collateral ligament (MCL) on Saturday after slipping on one of the mats at the new Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) in Bukit Kiara.
The World No 1 lashed out at Frost, whom he felt should have made an effort to change the mats after being told they were slippery by national singles coach Hendrawan.
“I am very angry and frustrated. All this while I have kept silent because of both my coaches (Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bock), but a man has his limits.
“I am not going to keep quiet this time, because I have been in BAM for 18 years. I have done so much for this country and what do I get in return?
“This injury could have been avoided if Frost had acted on Hendrawan’s complaint. Now it’s too late to cry over spilled milk.
“I will be meeting the acting president (Tan Sri Mohamed Al Amin Abd Majid) to discuss this matter in the next couple of days.
“If he (Frost) is not happy with me, say it to my face and I will walk out of BAM. I can still prove myself outside,” said the three-time Olympic silver medallist who has already started rehabilitation on his left knee.
Chong Wei, who has yet to play a competitive match since the World Super Series Finals in Dubai last year, also vented his frustration over an alleged statement made by Frost to his coach on Monday.
“He met Hendrawan yesterday (Monday) and asked if this was the end to my career. How could he ask something like that?
“I know that the men’s singles department is in dire straits but I am still World No 1. Does he know how much effort I have put in to come out of suspension to regain the top spot?
“I don’t know what he wants, seriously I am not interested in politics. Put yourself in my shoes and you will know what I mean.
“It is very disappointing to hear such comments.”
It is learnt that Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin is also aware of the situation.
On his future, Chong Wei added: “I am definitely out of the All England and I have not thought about tournaments after that.
“As of now, my focus is to recover fully. At this time of moment, I am just feeling down.”
Prior to the injury, Chong Wei had been scheduled to compete in the Malaysia Open (Kuching), India Open, Sudirman Cup (Gold Coast), World Championships (Glasgow) and the Indonesia Open.
Meanwhile, the National Sports Institute (NSI) confirmed that Chong Wei’s injury is not as serious as expected and it does not require surgery.
Dr Azril Syazwan Mohd Ali, who is under the Podium Programme, said: “Looking at the injury, we can say that it is a medium tear. He needs rest as it would take at least two weeks for the damaged tissue to recover.
“In the meantime, we will monitor him closely as he has already begun rehabilitation.”