The ‘New Straits Times’ front-page reports on the 2015 Wang Kelian human trafficking and death camps on Wednesday and yesterday.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is prepared to assist police in establishing if there were elements of corruption or abuse of power, in the investigations into the 2015 Wang Kelian trafficking tragedy. 

MACC deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki said the commission was ready to lend a hand, if the police needed its help, if the force were to revisit the case involving the country’s biggest crime against humanity. 

“The matter is being investigated by the police, so let them do their work, since this is a human trafficking issue.

“If they have anything that they want to share, then we are willing to facilitate an investigation,” he said.

An expose by the New Straits Times’ Special Probes Team on Wednesday revealed that the human trafficking camps and mass graves had been discovered on Jan 19, 2015, and not May 24, as the police announced on May 25.

The tragedy claimed the lives of no fewer than 150 migrants, mostly from Rakhine State, who were desperate for a second chance at life.

The four-page investigative report also touched on reports which suggested that there were orders for the human trafficking camps to be destroyed, even before they could be processed by forensics personnel.  

After its exhaustive two-year probe into the case, the team on Monday presented its findings to Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who immediately ordered for investigations into the case to be revisited.

Deputy Home Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed on Wednesday said: “The investigation papers of the case were still open and that the police would not stop until they find the perpetrators. ”

The police, he added, would collate and investigate all new leads, including those exposed by the NST Special Probes team. 

803 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by