KUALA LUMPUR: An 11-year old tahfiz student of Pusat Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah was saved by a twist of fate, when he was taken home yesterday evening to receive medical treatment for a skin problem.
The son of Azman Endan, 40, was supposed to be at the tahfiz school when the fire broke out, but his father insisted to take him home instead.
“At about 6.30pm yesterday, I went and picked him up because I wanted to bring him to seek treatment for his skin problem.
“We were shocked to learn about the tragedy and that many were killed,” Azman told reporters outside Kuala Lumpur Hospital mortuary today.
Azman said his son broke down when he first heard the news, and has since avoided talking to anyone.
“He is devastated to have lost his friends, and is extremely traumatised right now. He is in the car and does not want to get out.”