KUALA LUMPUR: Whether Pas will throw its hat into the ring for the Port Dickson by-election, would only be known by Thursday, two days before nomination.
Party leaders told the NSTP that they had yet to meet on the matter and a decision may only be made between now and Thursday morning.
Pas Deputy President, Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man said the party would call for a meeting in a day or two to decide whether it is going to contest in the by-election.
“Pas has to look at the various aspects and weigh-in all requirements before coming to a decision. This is because at heart of the matter is that the by-election is not being held due to an urgency, the seat was purposely vacated.
Tuan Ibrahim also adds that the other aspect includes certain indicating their interest to contest in the by-election.
Those who had indicated their interest in contesting for the Parliament seat thus far includes Parti Rakyat Malaysia, as well as independents Stevie Chan Keng Leong and ex-MIC secretary-general Datuk G. Kumar Aaman.
“But all this will be discussed later and we will announce a decision on the meeting by Thursday morning, latest,”
PAS information chief Nasrudin Hassan Tantawi also confirmed that Thursday will be the D-day that the party may announce on whether to contest the seat or not.
He adds that no consensus had been reached yet on whether the party may enter the fray.
Touted as being the mother of all by-election’s, Barisan Nasional’s move to boycott the by-election had thrown a damper in the contest.
Pas president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang had in the opening of its Muktamar two weeks ago said the party was prepared to field a candidate to contest against Anwar if other opposition parties does not do so.
This is the fourth by election triggered by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
The Port Dickson parliamentary seat became vacant after incumbent Datuk Danyal Rajagopal Abdullah gave up his seat to pave the way for Anwar’s return to Parliament
The ‘Kajang Move’ in 2014, saw its assemblyman Lee Chin Cheh resign less than a year after winning the seat in the 13th General Election (GE13). This was supposed to pave the way for a by-election for Anwar to contest and take over as Selangor Mentri Besar.
The plan, however, went awry following the Court of Appeal’s ruling on March 7, 2014, which sentenced Anwar to five years in prison for sodomy.
PKR president Datuk Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail contested the Kajang state seat instead and defeated Barisan Nasional’s candidate Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun.
In February 2015, the Permatang Pauh seat fell vacant after PKR de-facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was disqualified by the Federal Court which upheld an earlier Court of Appeal ruling that reversed his acquittal for sodomy.
In the May 7, 2015 by-election, the seat was won by Dr Wan Azizah with a reduced majority of 8,841 votes.
On July 31, 2008, Dr Wan Azizah resigned as Permatang Pauh MP, four months after gaining a mandate of 13,398 votes in GE12 to make way for Anwar to contest the seat.
The party de-factor leader however was disallowed from contesting due to his custodial sentence between 1999 to 2004 for a previous sodomy charge.
However, Anwar later won the seat with a majority 16,210 vote majority.